Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Best Studio Dog in the World....
and "Love is a Dog from Hell"
























Radley has his own couch in the studio, where he observes the artmaking process. Sometimes he prefers to sleep in one of the sunny patches under the skylights. Today was a very long day of hair embroidery, embroidering the ground of a landscape, hopefully by tomorrow there will be something worth showing.

I am elated, because today I received a DVD of a film I have been looking for almost two decades! Many years ago, when I was still living in Binghamton and going to school there, I saw an amazing film called "Love is a Dog From Hell", based on some Charles Bukowski stories. It was an amazing film that I loved and talked about for years, but when I tried to find it to add it to my collection, it was nowhere to be found! Through some real digging on the 10th try, I found that the title had been changed to "Crazy Love". I ordered it, and it arrived today... I am anxious to see if it is as I remember it. When it was reviewed in the Binghamton Press, they fixated on a several-second, suggested necrophilia scene, and ignored the incredible poetry of the rest of the film. I expect it disappeared because it was written up in a similar fashion elsewhere. I found it an amazing descent from idealism to pathos and back again.... there are a few difficult scenes, don't watch it if you're on a downer, a certain buoyancy is needed. Anyway, add it to your Netflix list if you dare.

"OscarĀ® nominated director Dominique Deruddere's film is a darkly disturbing fairy tale for adults. On its original US release, the film was championed by Madonna, Sean Penn and GODFATHER director Francis Coppola. But it proved too controversial for mass acceptance and never got the recognition it deserved.

Now reappraised as one of the most under-rated films of the 1980's, Crazy Love makes its DVD debut in a stunning High Def transfer from the original negative, laden with extra features. The film tells the story of a man's life through three crucial nights, spread over 20 years. From a love struck teenager to a down & out 30-something, we see him move from dreams to despair. How he changes his life in one final, transcendent act gives the film its title as well as providing us with one of the most unforgettable scenes in recent cinema history."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is one good looking dog.
love his facial expression.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you, yes he is! He has his own webpage at http://www.katekretz.com/Radley.html
and I am working on a children's book about him.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home