Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's so romantic being an artist....

Today I spent the entire day making millions of little dots. Being engaged in an activity such as this leaves the mind free to think of lots of new blog subjects. All of the little nuggets that I used to share with my students will now be funneled into the blog.

so, at end of day today, the painting looks like this:
I missed the ARTSTAR program... was painting and didn't think of it until 9:59. Did anyone see it? I usually don't know what day it is, so I am not going to start being one of those people who has to be parked in front of the TV every Thursday at 9 p.m. It would just make me angry anyway.... everything about the art world makes me angry, except art . That's one of the things that brought me here....
Lee Bontecou envy.
So I am getting lots of great emails from people commenting on the blog and making insightful comments to me that I know everyone else would like to hear. If you don't make the comments on the blog, I will be forced to start paraphrasing you.... There are maybe 40-50 people who know that this blog exists, most of them are artists or art aficionados, and they are all cool people, so feel free to share your insights....

3 Comments:

Blogger bsch said...

This a beautiful painting. An elegant synthesis of the objective and the abstract. And using the most direct and simple brushed application of of paint. Bravo. Seurat would be proud. It's lovely. How big is this piece?

10:18 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

thank you. the piece is 36 x 48". The abstract will remain, but will eventually be covered with a lot more paint, and will also be somewhat objective at that point.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First Lee Bontecou now Eva Hesse! Yahoo...finally something more!(Anyway, Kate, I happen to believe that envy is good. It is a great motivator, it helps one clarify one's goals and desires...and it also helps one to remember to feel happy for another's success.)

At least Lee's re-emergence proves that there is still a real interest in finding/remembering great women artists...and this gives me hope.
(I know Bontecou's experience is completely different than Hesse's: she deliberately removed herself from the public...and Eva, well she died.)But at least they have become real for us again after being lost to us for too long!

Lee and Eva remain wonderful role models, and they also magnify how screwed-up things still are if THEY have had to wait so many years to be even discussed again! I guess we just have to keep plugging along.

Hopefully we won't have to wait another half a lifetime to achieve the successes we each are hoping for.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home