Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fall. My favorite season.

This time last year, I had just moved to NC from Miami, and was missing my friends terribly, worried that from now on I would only see them once a year, during Art Basel. But then my friend Jim called me up and issued one of the best invitations I ever got: would I like to meet them in New York to attend the opening of the Iris Apfel collection at the Metropolitan Costume Institute? “...Even if I have to walk to New York!”, was my reply. But this required a fantastic dress… Iris is my fashion hero, stylish yet eccentric, a woman who has fun wearing her clothes, without caring a whit what anyone thinks. She was a frequent attendee of Jim & Scott’s parties, and I always waited to see what she would wear. This is what I came up with, as a tribute:
Behind me is one of Iris' ensembles on display. My getup is a deconstructed 1950’s dress: I kept the circle skirt and put a few leaves on it, then separated and cut up the top, adding some boning for structure and covering the finished corset with silk leaves. The boa is a silk leaf scarf I made that I wear every fall over my coats. If I would have had more time, I would have embroidered the veins over the top of the leaves on the corset, so it’s a good thing that I didn’t!

In the studio, after a third trip back to my source to take a few more reference photos, I have finished the Wal M*rt portion of my painting sketch, and I am moving up to work on the Assumption part.
(click on images to enlarge)


The magazine rack just about killed me and took half a day to get right... do ARCHITECTS even do freehand perspective anymore? There must be an easier way...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet that Hernan Bas could do at least 2 or 3 paintings in a half a day, Kate.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Is that a pic of u in miami? I see a tan ;)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

New York. But there is some residual Miami tan plus NC gardening tan.

Annonymous, you are mean. Back when I used to live at home, my father loved to see me walk in the door so he could ask, "So, how many paintings did you make today?"

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home