Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My amazing husband helped me compile a list of all the known news sources that covered Blessed Art Thou. I continue to do some writing about this experience, but I hope that this is the end of the documentation as I am anxious to move forward.

Isn't it amazing when you pick up exactly the right book at exactly the right time in your life? Sweet Dreams: Contemporary Art and Complicity, by Johanna Drucker, has proved to be a perfect fit for me these days. (Look, I found an excerpt for you) I am also reading Collecting Contemporary, which pissed me off in the first few pages. The author interviews an extensive collection of dealers, curators and collectors, and explains in a few paragraphs why he did not deem it neccessary to interview any artists. (Artists only PRODUCE the luxury product)

I am working on some small things, and gearing up for two big paintings. The past week, I have been gathering references and doing research for the next couple of works. I am a great believer in serendipity, so the process is like following bread crumbs: this book leads me to that film, which leads me to this song lyric, which makes me think of that movie (have to watch that again). Following breadcrumbs and feeding myself with them.

3 Comments:

Blogger JeannieGrrl said...

That was a LOT of work for you and that dear man. You're fortunate to have each other :) It was a wonderful piece no matter what some of the critics had to say and I'll certainly never forget it.

That much coverage hun? Wow. Just making art is a piece of history but think about it lady - that will go down in world history even when they've finally stop talking about it.

Think of this - when Poe was alive they called him an abomination and a number of other derogatory terms but look at him now...

There's always a bright side.

Keep creating luv and I wanted to tell you something important:

Because of your tenacity and your strength I've decided to paint something.

I haven't painted since my teens but I bought this silly cute acrylic beginner kit with a canvass and I plan to create something beautiful and alive for my new home which I'm moving into tomorrow.

Thank you for that. I'm choking up typing this and its terribly long winded I know. I just wanted to tell you that you've inspired me to revisit an old love.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

jeanniegrrl:

so happy to hear it, you have made my day, good for you, who knows, maybe it will become a habit...

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I know what u mean by following the bread crumbs. Things just tend to fall into place when it's right.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home