Monday, January 15, 2007

The Wreckage.

The studio looks like a tornado has hit it. The house is piled with stacks of New York Times and art magazines from the past few months. Radley's various milkbone cookie jars are depleted. Since we got back from Art Miami, I have been prepping for my class most nights into the wee hours of the morning (have never taught this class, or any fibers class, before), doing interviews and business stuff in the mornings (our xmas tree was still up when we had reporters here yesterday, and there were dust bunnies under the couch when we moved it to take a photo), teaching class in the afternoons, and trying to uphold commitments that I made 5 months ago to create work for various group shows in between.

The mini-semester class ends next week, and I am gathering information for the next painting. As you might imagine, I am feeling a bit of pressure about it, regarding subject matter: damned if you do, damned if you don't. Nothing to do but hole up, tune out, read a bit, flip through my sketchbooks, and listen, to hear what is supposed to come next. I just finished a lengthy email interview for myartspace.com: will let you know when it is posted.

I want to thank those of you who have been tuning in and offering support: I feel as though I have a new group of cyber-friends. As things are calming down, I am hoping that the hype was enough to bring people to the website so that some serious art things might happen. In the meantime, forward.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger JeannieGrrl said...

Had you not done such a controversial piece I would never have stumbled across your other works - all of which speak to me. I'm a kind of an artist - digital and photography - but nothing like what you can do. I like to read your thoughts and see your work. Thank you.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Cover up that poor boy's "privates"! How intrusive of you!!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to it. I'll be checking in for the serious art stuff that is bound to happen on your blog! (I really appreciate the process!!)

Best of luck ;-)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda and SuperAmanda™ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Amanda and SuperAmanda™ said...

Dust bunnies are sign of prosperity I always say! Have a fun week within all the hard, surely to be rewarding work.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll start to relax soon, as you recapture some routine again in your daily life. Even the constancy of teaching again will help to reground you I think.

Take some time, clean the studio so it feels fresh again and admire the raw materials you surely have waiting there. Paint waiting to be squeezed onto your palette, brushes waiting to bend under the excitement of your next inspiration.

I've always felt a sense of excitement when I pick up a tube and squeeze it. It's soft resistance to giving up its colorful contents. The first lines drawn on canvas, all those details that are the joy of the process.

Soon enough the right idea will come to you, dont think too much about it just yet, give it time and you will be fine. Remember its YOUR art and its about what YOU think and observe. Be true to yourself and your art will take care of itself.

Oh, and pick up some treats for the dog :)

Ron Ackerley

11:47 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I love the quote and I can see why you relate to it :)
I am glad to have found your blog as a result of the hype though.


ta ra for now.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home