Monday, March 05, 2007

Greetings, all....

Renewed and refreshed, spent the ENTIRE day in front of my computer with hundreds of reference photos that I have taken for upcoming work.... editing, cropping, lightening, and dumping onto a disc so that Radley and I could drop them off to be printed. My "mouse" arm is asleep. Tomorrow pencil touches paper!

Today, over at Ed Winkleman's Blogspot, he discusses whether developing a critical eye has the capacity to ruin our enjoyment of art. I was remembering what one of the architecture professors of an ex-boyfriend said (paraphrased): "The first time you see something, you can be in awe of it. The second time you see it, you should figure out how it is made, and the third time you see it, you should be figuring out how you would do it better."

I am still in awe of Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire", and, after my 30th viewing, I have still never stopped once to think about how it is made, I just ride it like a wave. And, perhaps it is the teacher in me, but I approach way too many works of art for the first time thinking of how I could have made them better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home