Friday, July 13, 2007


(click to enlarge)
"Art World Truth #1", 2007, thrift store overalls worn to paint "Blessed Art Thou", paint, embroidery, 60 x 19" unframed (click to enlarge)

This is a rough unofficial image, they will ultimately be nicely shaped and framed behind plexi in ornate gold frames when exhibited.

I am embroidering art world truths on the overalls I have worn when I paint. I wore one primarily while painting "Blessed Art Thou", another during "Fate of a Technicolor Romantic", etc. They each have the paint colors from that painting wiped on them, as this is my habit.

I grew up with the Catholic notion of relics. These are the residue of the cathetic ritual of creation, marking time spent on the painting, then further invested with time through the embroidery process. I sometimes fell like a bit of a relic myself for investing so much time into each piece, and creating my own work from start to finish, no longer the norm in the art world... all of this is crossed with the Emperor's New Clothes, and the "worker's " observations on the current state of the Art World.

When I was in LA, I asked a curator friend if she could recommend a gallery in LA, and she responded: "I know this sounds silly, and is frustrating to hear, but your work is too good (i.e., you paint too slowly, you are too obsessive): they would look at your paintings, and say "make us ten more like that", and that would be impossible". The peculiarities of the way I work have been a source of frustration to me, and I am looking for a way to reconcile my reality with the reality of the art world. This series will be a way of emphasizing and honoring the process, what goes into the work. This is the beginning of a peripheral project, done at night when I am worn out from painting, but my hands still want to work. I can also take the pieces with me when I travel, and still be productive. I will be looking to propose a show someplace where the overalls will be framed next to the paintings.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about these tweety bird overalls for a day or so now, and I gotta say that I love them. The "artism" is perfect, too.

What I like best is how you have managed to present one of your studio compulsions as an art form...

And, the added substance of being a by-product of having labored over another work is a nice dimension, too.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks, Sarah...
I have vacillated between the concept being alternately too simplistic, then too esoteric, but I need to keep makin' them anyway, even if they just hang in my house! They are extremely satisfying to me.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Are you familiar with the work of Tom Joyce? He is a blacksmithing in NM...he was just featured in the PBS series Craft in America if you happened to catch that. Anyway, I just saw him speak about his work and he discussed a series in which he framed all of the articles of clothing he wore while working on a particular body of work. They were in a smallish square frame and folded as if in a drawer...but it showcased the burns/dirt on them from his working process. They were then exhibited alongside the pieces he made while wearing them.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for the tip, Barb... I will look him up. If I were a blacksmith, I would be photographing all the burns I got and framing them.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home