I stumbled upon this article at the UK Guardian about artist Stella Vine. I remembered her work from PaintersNYC a while back. I wish that I could say that I hate these paintings, but I can't. (Keep in mind that I do love some folk art for precisely the same reasons that I like hers).
1. They are "bad painting"... really, I can think of any number of places where I have seen similar imagery, style, etc.
2. They are mostly paintings of celebrities from found photos.
3. They manipulate with the Keane/natural - human - attraction - to - big - eyed - baby - thing.
4. They remind me of early Lucien Freud: his are more neurotic, hers are more unhinged.
5. In many ways, they embody the kind of art I often rail against.
But I think they kick ass.