Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Long Day at the End of a Very Long (and exciting) Week

Hit the ground painting today upon returning from New York, ending a five day trip that brought me much more than I ever expected. We stayed in Manhattan to be close to the museum for the first few days, then moved to Brooklyn so that I could get some "niece time". We arrived Weds, and the Member's opening was Wednesday night. I was so excited I could barely breathe in my cab ride from the hotel to the opening (or maybe it was the leaf corset). The show was unbelievable, as I expected. The catalog is gorgeous, and, much to my delight, they have also reprinted the previously sold out catalog from a recent exhibition: Radical Lace & Subversive Knitting. (Everyone I know is desperate to get their hands on one... they were recently selling for big bucks on Ebay). I met lots of great artists at the press conference, and then did the opening thing. They served us a dinner at the museum following the reception. My sweetie offered to take me out afterwards, but I was so beat we went back to the hotel. I believe that every important day in my life thus far has been preceded by a night where I slept less than 3 hours.

Thursday during the day, I went around to see some Chelsea galleries. As I signed into each book, I noticed that the preceding name was Tyler Green, the Washington, DC-based author of the Modern Art Notes blog: I must have been a few paces behind him. Thursday night was a round table discussion and the public opening. Met some friends for drinks afterwards. Friday, went to 31 Grand Gallery to see the space (I will be showing work in a group show there in January!), and to check out Adam Stennett's awesome show before it came down.

In addition to this surreal week, there is the specter of a monumentally exciting and disruptive possibility that I cannot yet disclose...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenda said...

Congratulations Kate. How exciting for you! I miss visiting NY and the whole gallery scene. I also miss my days at FIU, interacting with all my fellow artists and going to the gallery walks and openings. We have an ok art scene here in Puerto Rico, but it is just not the same. I remember in Miami always bumping into a fellow student or professor and hanging out discussing the shows and our work and whatever. Again, congratulations and I hope great things happen for you. Sounds like smething is already in the wrks, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Glenda

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS SHOW KATE!!! The curator did such a wonderful job displaying your embroideries - and it was a pleasure to see them in such a beautiful show and space.

I will be back to look at all of the work when it is quieter and I can take it all in (too many people around for me to concentrate). I also noticed that a few cell phones and blackberries were out in the crowd...tee hee!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks, Glenda and Sarah!

When I stop painting for a minute, I am trying to remember and appreciate that this amazing thing is happening.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home