Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The opening "Narrative Thread" at Lyons Wier Ortt went well, despite the fact that I arrived 45 minutes late... the F train was stuck in Brooklyn due to a medical emergency. There were some amazing pieces in the show, including a few glove/clothing pieces by Paul Villinski, some truly incredible embroidered portraits by Cayce Zavaglia , and embroideries by Darrel Morris, whose work I have been following for a long time.

Thursday night a clothing-based show opened at Black & White Gallery, and Friday "Narrative Thread" opened. Right before I left, my work was featured in the Spanish Design magazine, Pasajes Diseno, in an article about fiber-based contemporary art. Loosely translated, the article asks the question "Will the Next Picasso Work in Crochet?" (click to enlarge)









Orly Cogan's embroidery work was featured on the cover of the bilingual France-based ArtPress magazine, with an article on the same subject. After all these years, so nice to finally feel, at least momentarily, like I am in the right place at the right time.

Friday night, I went to bed at midnight, woke at 4 a.m., caught a car to JFK, flew to Charlotte, attended a workshop from 9-5, then drove the 2 hours back on Saturday night. I ended the trip as I began it: exhausted. It took two days to really recover: did my taxes while recouperating.

Tomorrow, I hope to wrap up the taxes and get back in the studio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home